MSA Formula runner-up Ricky Collard joins Carlin for 2016 BRDC Formula 4 - RNW | RacingNewsWorldwide.com | Your latest racing news
  1. Home
  2. Formula
  3. 4
  4. MSA Formula runner-up Ricky Collard joins Carlin for 2016 BRDC Formula 4

MSA Formula runner-up Ricky Collard joins Carlin for 2016 BRDC Formula 4

MSA Formula runner-up Ricky Collard joins Carlin for 2016 BRDC Formula 4

Ricky Collard will race in the 2016 BRDC Formula 4 Championship with Carlin it has been confirmed today (25 February). The 19-year-old graduates from MSA Formula, in which he finished as runner-up last year to his fellow BRDC F4 Carlin team-mate, Lando Norris.

The son of renowned touring car driver Rob Collard, Ricky began his karting career in 2006 and was soon competing on both a national and international level. He finished fourth in the British Cadet Championship in 2009 and sixth in the Kartmasters British Grand Prix KF3 category in 2011, before tackling the CIK-FIA U-18 World Karting Championship, finishing eighth overall in 2012.

The Hampshire racer made his car racing debut in the Ginetta Junior Championship the same year, before graduating to single-seaters in 2013, claiming five podiums en route to seventh overall in the Formula Ford Championship of Great Britain. Last year he competed in MSA Formula and enjoyed a breakout campaign, taking six wins and 13 podiums to finish as runner-up. He will now join Lando Norris and Ameya Vaidyanathan at the Surrey-based outfit, replacing previously announced driver, American Colton Herta.

Collard said: “It’s a pretty surreal situation really. This deal came together pretty quickly, and as a local lad with my local team it all fits together really well. I always dreamt of driving for a team like Carlin when I was younger, so thanks to everyone who helped put this deal together, particularly my manager Harry Soden.

“I think I’ve got the best opportunity I’ve ever had; it’s an important year this year. Finishing second in the MSA Formula was great last year but obviously I want to go that one place further. Fighting with Lando in different cars was great in 2015 and now we will be able to push each other hard in the same car, which will also help the team internally. The BRDC car is great to drive; there’s a lot of instant power and the change of direction is impressive. It’s going to great to drive around UK circuits, and pushing hard at tracks like Oulton Park certainly won’t be for the fainthearted. I’ve really excited and can’t wait to get the season underway.”

Trevor Carlin added: “We’re absolutely delighted that Ricky joins our BRDC squad. Ricky was a great competitor in MSA Formula last season and put up a great fight to Lando in the championship battle. We’re very excited that we now have the opportunity to fight for the BRDC title together this season and I’ve no doubt that Ricky will be a great asset to the team.”

The 2016 BRDC Formula 4 Championship gets underway at Snetterton on March 27/28 and takes in 24 races across eight rounds, visiting a number of legendary circuits including Brands Hatch, Silverstone and Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium.

For more information about the BRDC F4 Championship, visit www.formula4.com.

Comments

comments

David Martin-Janiak Motorsports has always been a passion for me, I've raced in Karting and now I have my own Motorsports news website, so i can help other racers convey their passion to the world!

Epic Crash videos and compilations