New Rounds, New Zealand Confirmed for 2018 - RNW | RacingNewsWorldwide.com | Your latest racing news
  1. Home
  2. Formula
  3. 4
  4. New Rounds, New Zealand Confirmed for 2018

New Rounds, New Zealand Confirmed for 2018

New Rounds, New Zealand Confirmed for 2018

The CAMS Jayco Australian Formula 4 Championship will visit New Zealand for the first time in 2018, with seven rounds to be held over a mouth-watering six events.

Supporting the Supercars in Pukekohe, the championship’s seventh round will conclude the Formula 4 season on 2–4 November.

The New Zealand track has a strong connection to Australian Formula 4, with Pukekohe driver Liam Lawson finishing runner-up to champion Nick Rowe in 2017.

Tasmania’s Symmons Plains will return to the championship as the season opener in April, with Formula 4 last visiting the Apple Isle in 2016.

Phillip Island will be the first of three events taking place on the Shannons Nationals calendar, with appearances in Winton and Sydney Motorsport Park later in the year.

The Ipswich SuperSprint will mark the halfway point of the year, with the third round to be held in July at Queensland Raceway alongside Supercars.

Utilised as a test track for the past few years, Victoria’s Winton will make its first appearance as a championship round in late August. Teams will gather even more data at the facility, with two rounds to be held as part of the Shannons Nationals weekend.

CAMS has recently confirmed the lifespan of the current first-generation Formula 4 car will be extended through to the end of 2023, providing entrants certainty in the formula.

CAMS General Manager of Motor Sport Michael Smith said the championship was reaping the rewards of its technical continuity.

“With three seasons of racing under our belt, there’s been unprecedented interest in the CAMS Jayco Australian Formula 4 Championship,” Smith said.

“We’re excited to expand the championship into New Zealand. It will be an experience to remember for our young drivers and hopefully we’ll see more New Zealanders take on some of Australia’s best up-and-comers.”

Three Australian Formula 4 cars have been sold to entrants for 2018, with finance packages also available through Morris Finance to purchase cars outright.

For further information on joining the category, please contact CAMS Operations Manager David Corrigan on (03) 9593 7783 or .

2018 CAMS Jayco Australian Formula 4 Championship Calendar
Round One: Symmons Plains, TAS – 6–8 April (Supercars)
Round Two: Phillip Island, VIC – 1–3 June (Shannons Nationals)
Round Three: Queensland Raceway, QLD – 20–22 July (Supercars)
Round Four & Five: Winton, VIC – 31 August–2 September (Shannons Nationals)
Round Six: Sydney Motorsport Park, NSW – 21–23 September (Shannons Nationals)
Round Seven: Pukekohe, NZ – 2–4 November (Supercars)

Source: f4 aus by Rob James

Comments

comments

David Martin-Janiak Motorsports has always been a passion for me, I've raced in Karting and now I have my own Motorsports news website, so i can help other racers convey their passion to the world!

Epic Crash videos and compilations